People cut to:
- Help them feel something when they are numb inside
- Be able to physically see the pain they feel inside
- To punish themselves
- Push their pain away
- Feel a sense of control, joy, or excitement
- Communicate their emotional pain to others
- Distract themselves from emotionally painful issues
To those who can’t fathom it, cutting is a mysterious practice. Why would anyone do that to themselves?
People cut to cope with any number of situations–grief, rape, thoughts of suicide, an eating disorder, depression, sexual abuse, relationship disruption, and more. Cutting is a way to turn intangible pain into tangible … Read more...