This page has suicide prevention and support resources. Many of these are located in Virginia area since I live in Richmond.
National Suicide Hotlines
- Suicide hotline in the US 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis text line. Text the word HELP to 741-741
- Veteran’s Services 1-800-273-8255, press 1
- Veteran’s Text line send HELP to 838-255
How to obtain a Temporary Detention Order (TDO) in Virginia -A magistrate may issue a medical temporary detention order if an adult is incapable of making in informed decision to accept necessary medical treatment. A medical temporary detention order allows the person to be detained for 24 hours to permit necessary medical treatment for a person over 18. The police in Richmond only transport and stand by until the TDO is issued.
Suicide Prevention Resources
- One pager on how to talk to someone contemplating suicide from AFSP (American Foundation of Suicide prevention)
- How to have a conversation about suicide– I like the podcast. Plays on any device.
- What do those contemplating suicide say?
- Bests Suicide prevention apps – Professionally reviewed apps for suicide prevention
- Reporting guidelines at AFSP – (the audio is excellent)
- Reporting on suicide– Guide on language and responsible reporting
- Suicide Loss Support Groups
- Talking points for parents on Netflix series 13 Reasons Why
Suicide Loss Guides
- After a Suicide – A guide from AFSP for schools who have suffered a suicide of one of their students
- Children, Teens and Suicide Loss – Guide on what to say to children
VA Non-Profit Resources for Suicide Prevention
- I Need a Lighthouse – Virginia Beach, VA
- American Foundation of Suicide Prevention – National org, Virginia Chapter
- Mitchell Hash Foundation – Veteran suicide support, Charlottesville, VA
- Living the Dream – Culpepper, Virginia
- Sarah Peterson Foundation – Hampton Roads, Virginia
- Beacon Tree Foundation, Advocates for youth mental health and suicide prevention – Richmond, VA