Updated: 03.2020– This page has grief support resources. It starts with online and National resources followed by Virginia and Richmond, VA, since that’s where I live.
Resources for loss of a child, loss of a loved one to suicide, loss of a loved one to SUD, and some general grief and loss resources.
- Books on grief after suicide, books on grief after loss of a child, books on grief after a child’s suicide, general grieving books for loss of a loved one
- Suicide loss support groups in the US and abroad
- MISS Foundation groups for loss of a child in the US – National Chapter locator
- GriefShare Group Locator – National Chapter Locator for general grief and loss
- The Dougy Center – National, grief support for children and families
- Compassionate Friends Chapter Locator – National Chapter Locator for loss of a child
- Grief Toolkit for Children – Sesame Street
- Helping Kids with Grief – Sesame Street
Suicide Loss- For Children/Teens –National
It’s very important to address the grief of our youth. Unresolved grief heightens suicide risk and can lead to unhealthy coping behaviors including addiction.
- Grief-eBook on what to say to children- Children, Teens and Suicide Loss– Dougy Center for Grieving Children and AFSP (American Foundation of Suicide Prevention)
- Grief-Article: Returning to School After a Suicide Loss: For Teens
- Grief-Article: Returning to School After a Suicide Loss: For Younger Children
Suicide Loss Guides Regarding Youth/Children –National
- After a Suicide – An evidence-based guide from the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention (AFSP) for schools that have suffered a suicide of one of their students
- Guide on what to say to children after suicide loss. It includes scripts by age group- Children, Teens and Suicide Loss
- Returning to School After a Suicide Loss: For Teens
- Returning to School After a Suicide Loss: For Younger Children
Grief Support Guide for Funeral Industry
Great podcast on grief
Low-Cost Funeral Resources- Virginia Area
- Richmond Cremation– Low-cost cremation packages from $1,495
- Christian’s Purpose – Paying for a child’s funeral. Currently serving these Virginia areas: Charlottesville and outlying areas Fluvanna, Greene, Nelson, Madison
Grief Support- Virginia Area
- Suicide loss grief support groups in Virginia
- Compassionate Friends RVA for loss of a child- Richmond, VA
- Full Circle Grief Center – Grief groups for different kinds of loss, Richmond, VA
- MISS RVA Grief Groups– Richmond VA (RVA) Grief Groups including one for loss of a child
- Sisters of Hope– Richmond, VA – Faith-based support group for bereaved mothers
- NAMI Central Virginia Survivor of Suicide Loss Support Group – Richmond, VA (Once a month)
- AFSP – SOSL – Survivors of Suicide Loss – Richmond, VA – (Once a month)
- Comfort Zone Camp – For children and siblings, Richmond, VA
- Grief Support of all kinds in Richmond tricities area
- Richmond’s Bereavement Resource Manual (pdf) – Has scripts for children and teens for those who live anywhere.
Grief Support Groups for Loss from SUD – Richmond, VA
SUD=Substance Use Disorder.
VCAM Grief & Loss Support Group for families who have experienced fatal overdose or drug-related death in the family (drop in)- Richmond VA
When: 6-7:30pm, 1st and 3rd Monday of the month
Where: VCAM, 2301 N. Parham Rd, Suite 4 (second floor) Richmond, VA 23229
Grief and loss support group for anyone who’s lost someone to Substance Use Disorder-(drop in) – Richmond VA
When: Weekly on Tuesdays from 7:00 – 8:00 pm
Where: 3rd Floor Conference Rm, McShin Foundation, 2300 Dumbarton Road, Richmond VA. 23228
Where: Tracy Grow at (804) 229-5024 or GrapleRVA@gmail.com
- Make a child’s service more meaningful
- Forgiving myself
- 7 things we need our ‘ungrieving’ friends to know
- How grief matures
- Grief writes me a love letter
- 5 things to help you find hope after tragedy
- From where do I draw my strength?
- The Final 48 Hours
- Why do I post about grief? My alter ego and I have a battle
- I refuse to bury my son’s memory
Gina Hollenweger, part of this tribe, sent me this video to use here.