Date(s) – Fri, 06/25/2021
8:30 am-12:30 pm EDT
How much? $15 (Affordable because of Runway 2 Life‘s Sponsorship)
Where? It will be held at Kraus Auditorium at Chippenham Hospital. (2nd floor), 7101 Jahnke Rd, Richmond, VA 23225
- Parking is free in the Chippenham parking deck off Jahnke Road.
- Come in through the front entrance or the entrance next to the ER. (right off the parking deck)
- Elevators are near the information desk. Take those elevators to the second floor and follow the signs.
- We are in Kraus Auditorium, second floor, and it’s not far from the elevators.
- CEs available through LivingWorks
More information about safeTALK
You can schedule a training for your company, or community group.
Want to schedule a safeTALK for your group? Click here.
What is safeTALK?
A half-day (4-hour) training program that teaches participants to recognize and engage persons who might be having thoughts of suicide and connect them with community resources trained in suicide intervention. SafeTALK stresses safety while challenging taboos that inhibit open talk about suicide. An ASIST-trained resource or other community support resource will be at this training. The ‘safe’ of safeTALK stands for ‘suicide alertness for everyone’. The ‘TALK’ letters stand for the practice actions that one does to help those with thoughts of suicide: Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe.
After training, participants in the safeTALK program should be able to:
- Challenge attitudes that inhibit open talk about suicide.
- Recognize a person who might be having thoughts of suicide.
- Engage them in direct and open talk about suicide.
- Listen to the person’s feelings about suicide to show that they are taken seriously.
- Move quickly to connect them with someone trained in suicide intervention
- A minimum of 10 people and a maximum of 30
- Teens 15 and up can attend. It’s recommended if they do, the class is roughly half adults
- There is a community support person who has been trained in suicide prevention, in addition to the trainer at each scheduled safeTALK
- The room needs to be equipped with a projector to play videos
- A screen or wall in which to play the videos
- A speaker for amplifying the audio from the videos (Trainer can bring a Bluetooth speaker)
- A microphone is helpful and if one is not available Anne Moss will bring a voice amplifier
- Sponsors are always appreciated and the benefits can be discussed by using this form
Each participant will get a booklet, stickers, list of local keepsafe resources, and a follow up email with a link to get CEs
Here is an example of a safeTALK event. Anne Moss Rogers is based in Richmond, Virginia.