Scroll down for all the safeTALK trainings.
safeTALK training for Everyone
Date(s) – Sat, 01/25/2020
8:30 am-12:30 pm
Chippenham Hospital, Kraus Auditorium
7101 Jahnke Rd, Richmond, VA , 23225
safeTALK training for Clinicians & Peer Support Specialists
Date(s) – Fri, 02/28/2020
9:30 am-2:00 pm
1405 W Main St, Richmond, VA, 23220
What is safeTALK?
A half-day (4-hour) training program that teaches participants to recognize and engage persons who might be having thoughts of suicide and connect them with community resources trained in suicide intervention. SafeTALK stresses safety while challenging taboos that inhibit open talk about suicide. An ASIST-trained resource or other community support resource will be at this training. The ‘safe’ of safeTALK stands for ‘suicide alertness for everyone’. The ‘TALK’ letters stand for the practice actions that one does to help those with thoughts of suicide: Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe.
After training, participants in the safeTALK program should be able to:
- Challenge attitudes that inhibit open talk about suicide.
- Recognize a person who might be having thoughts of suicide.
- Engage them in direct and open talk about suicide.
- Listen to the person’s feelings about suicide to show that they are taken seriously.
- Move quickly to connect them with someone trained in suicide intervention