In case you missed it. Here are all the FB live videos. See it on Facebook with all the comments here.
Get updates to this blog by subscribing
Comments from the event
You can see all the comments when you click on the Facebook link but here are some of the highlights
- In Canada they swap out with generic that have more fillers and less of a percentage of the active ingredient
- Genesight for figuring out what might work for you
- My son is alive because of the benefits of his current antidepressant and mood stabilizer. However, he does not want to discuss that he takes them with anyone- he is embarrassed
- Anti depressants save lives but it takes awhile to get right combo and take regularly!
- Antidepressants and therapy are best combo!
- I’ve tried about 20 [antidepressants]. Either med resistant or adverse effects. My coping strategies in conjunction with my other bipolar meds are what pull me though when I’m low. It’s hard work but I’ve learned it will pass
- When you find the right anti-depressant and/or cocktails, FIGHT tooth and nail to stay on that medication. Often times, insurance companies will try to force changes to less expensive medications or refuse to cover certain cover meds. Stopping a medication cold turkey or making a drastic change can be devastating. Bring your doctor(s) into the fold. Insurance carriers are NOT medical professionals!
- Our psychiatrist says in addition to meds, cut out white carbs and add omegas
- In my daughters case we received support from the school and friends but the stigma that coming from close family members are the more devastating
- I think maturity encourages young folks to be more compliant with meds
- My niece is cutting so bad but my sister is in denial and puts bandaids on them. Won’t tell dr about our family history of mental health issues
- Through our insurance Anthem…The pilot program is thru Good Neighbors. Unfortunately, this service is usually only covered thru Medicaid but I have lobbied hard with anthem to continue this service. Hospitalization is just A band aid. [My son’s] continuum of care with this service has been vital to his improvement. His in home person works with all of us not just him. She has managed to get him volunteering and exercising and is as important as his meds. Because of her, we were able to return to work after his suicide attempt and she takes him to his appts at his psychologist and psychiatrist.
- Recommended in Richmond VA by Mary ellen – Fig Tree
- ER Doctors are really afraid to give them [anti-depressants]. They cannot keep up with what to give and the risk is too great
- My gf having terrible time finding mental health support in Boston area with son with alcoholism and suicidal attempts.
- Our daughter has been on numerous medication cocktails for well over a year now for her bipolar depression. She still struggles with anxiety, but I think it is very important to mention that we had very little success with her treatment until we addressed her addiction issues, which started because she was self-medicating, not wanting anyone to know that she was so miserable inside, not the person she appeared to be on the outside
- Marijuana can be a huge depressant…many young people feel otherwise but studies have shown its frequent continued use can lead to a worsening of depression