12-1:30pm and 1:30-3pm
Based on Anne Moss’s training from DBT Skills in Schools: Skills Training for Emotional Problem Solving for Adolescents (DBT STEPS-A) by Dr. Jim Mazza, and Dr. Elizabeth Mazza as well as her Preventure training and personal experience of having a son and a mother with anxiety, this 1.5 hour workshop will focus on the participants and how to manage anxiety to lessen our suffering and manage it better.
Make Friends with Anxiety Workshop
Topic Description: The rise in anxiety gets a lot of press. But what if you could reframe how you think of stress and anxiety and manage it instead of letting it take over your life and holding your brain hostage when you should be sleeping?
The anxiety itself is not the demon but rather the lack of good coping skills to tamp it down to something that is not disrupting your whole life. That we can do something about. Stress, overwhelm and anxiety are all a part of life so let’s learn to listen and work with it.
- Identify times when you are more likely to be anxious
- Strategies for managing anxiety during periods of high stress
- How to minimize the suffering anxiety can cause
- Effective self-talk strategies
- DBT skills for coping with anxiety
- Taking agency of your own mental health
- Recognizing signs of overwhelm and what to do