How to talk to someone who is contemplating suicide:
1 Ask if you can talk to them in private
2. Ask open-ended questions:
- You have not seemed like yourself lately?
- Anything bothering you?
- How are you doing?
- Is everything OK?
3. Listen to their story
4. Have you thought about hurting yourself or ending your life?
5. Encourage them to seek mental health services/treatment
6. Remind them it takes courage to do this but it’s the smart thing to do
One other note. If they have lethal means, a gun or other weapon, this is a situation where the most … Read more...