Keynote Topic: Turning Pain into Purpose
– Keynote: 9:15 am – 10:00 am
– Book Signing: 10:00 am -10:30 am
Description: TEDx and emotionally naked storyteller, Anne Moss Rogers, has built a following on the tabooist of subjects—suicide, and the mental illness and addiction that often trigger it. After trying to find help for her once joyful son and rap artist, including wilderness therapy and therapeutic boarding school, Charles met heroin, a love affair that ended with his suicide in June 2015. This presentation is about her journey to healing by dragging an unpopular topic into the spotlight, how giving back has helped her heal, and how a blog community that came together in their shared pain has saved lives in the most surprising and unconventional of ways.
- How stigma played a role in Charles’s self-esteem, substance misuse, and suicide
- One mom’s unconventional way to save lives
- How one mom turned grief into action to find a path to healing