This was the book survey you guys have been filling out. Almost 100 responses in five days so I appreciate the responses and ideas. Looks like we will start with paperback. Not to say we’ll never have hardcover but 59% want paper back. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want hardback at some point but apparently you have to go with one or the other for each run. The latest stats on what is selling.
Question was: My publisher suggests I find someone well-known to write my forward. Do you have any suggestions?
I probably should have added more detail. My publisher wants someone well-known nationally so when they are reading the cover of my book and pondering whether to buy it, they recognize the name and the front cover. Usually there is a notation on front that says “Forward by <insert famous person here>.” It helps people make a buying decision and we don’t want someone outside of our circle to read it, too.
Someone on the survey mentioned it’s a marketing gimmick. Yeah it is and if it helps get this cause out there, I am all for it! I am a marketing “ho” baby and feel no shame. I’m proud of this book and it’s worthy of a good forward. It took me eleven revisions and a couple of conferences to understand what to do and get it to that point but I did it and it goes to the editor on Monday, March 25.
Having said that, I do want someone tied to and passionate about the cause. Ideally, someone who is in suicide prevention or addiction–especially since that’s who you guys want. My publisher felt since this was not a “grief book” although it details a grief journey and people will take away tips, it’s more about finding out the “why” behind suicide and addiction.
Below are a few highlights. I have two people who know Ryan Hampton. He got the most mentions so I will work on those who have contact with him. I was surprised no one mentioned Patrick Kennedy. These are great suggestions.
- Ryan Hampton got the most mentions followed by Creigh Deeds
- David Sheff, author of the Beautiful Boy, was mentioned the most next.
- Brene Brown
- Glennon Doyle was mentioned often
- Joan Chittister, Greg Boyle or Richard Rohr
- John Grisham wrote “”An Innocent Man”” and the main character suffers from mental health issues . Maybe he’d be receptive esp since he is right down the road in Charlottesville
- Meg Ryan (she has a 26 year old son) she might be interested in movie rights!
- Sir Elton John or Oprah – both with addictive behaviors and depression
- Robin William’s wife
- Sam Quinones
- Annie Graham Lots
- Karla Helbert (I will ask her for a quote!)
- Gabor Mate MD
- Someone who has lost someone by suicide. Anderson Cooper lost his brother to suicide.
- Brian Cuban
- Rachel Brosnahan (Kate Spade’s niece). She stars in the Marvelous Ms Maisel on Amazon Prime
- Frank Warren – Post Secret
- Delilah Rene – Radio Host
- Glen Close
- Sara Belle November; mental
- Megan Devine, Joanne Cacciatore, David Kessler
- Judy Collins
- Marie Osmond. Her son died by suicide
- Glennon Doyle, Anne Lamott, David Sheff
- John Shinholser or sheriff Karl Leonard
- Dr. Ted Abernathy
- Anna Whiston Donaldson
- Kay Redfield Jamison
- Eric Bolling – high profile whose son died of an opiod overdose
- Sandra Swenson
42% are interested in a free advance copy of the book which I am offering to anyone who joins this list or is already on it
36% are interested in winning a free book which I am offering to anyone who joins this list or is already on it
29% are interested in A book club questionnaire to lead a discussion. My mom and her book club will design this and I can offer that in addition to the two above.
23% were interested in exclusive content such as the songs not included in the book. I think my emerging adult market would rate that high on their list.
The 1% responses are the write in ideas and there are some good ones which will help me long term in developing selling and marketing strategies.
Many of you said, “I don’t need incentive.” I love you for that. I’m just trying to incentivize those who don’t currently follow.
Reminder of all the potential selections below:
1- Access to exclusive content such as some of the unpublished songs not included
2- A book club questionnaire to lead a discussion
3- A chance of winning a free book
4- Private facebook group
5 – First chapter one week before the release
6- Chance at one of the advance copies of the book
7- A downloadable ebook of the most popular posts on EmotionallyNaked.com
8- A chance to win one of the free advance copies of the book
You all added additional ideas, you can still fill it in. I have left it open for more responses still. I’ll let you know when I have someone for sure to write the forward. You all have spoken!